1. Amount you are charged for an incoming call to your cell phone in Spain? $0.00
2. Number of days lived in Spain? About 550
Number of times I saw a credit card used? 0
3. Number of times I saw relationship drama? 0
Number of times I ever heard anyone say anything bad about an ex-girlfriend, ex-boyfriend, ex-husband or ex-wife? Ditto.
4. Number of social, economic, political, emotional and financial problems facing Spain? Impossible to count.
Number of times I ever saw anyone act crazily, out of control or just pure whack. Zero.
5. Size of Spain? Double that of Wyoming
Population of Spain? 10 million more than California
Number of trees, hiking trails and farms between Barcelona and the next biggest town? Gazillions
6. Nationalized health insurance** for citizens, legal (and illegal) immigrants.
7. Farms as far as the eyes can see. Fences nowhere to be seen.
8. Bread? Made at the bread store, sold at the bread store.
9. Wine? 75% cheaper, twice as good, sold in bulk.
10. Coffee at the nicest place? Served in a ceramic cup with a saucer.
Coffee at the BP Gas Station? Served in a ceramic cup with a saucer.
11. Who drinks alcohol on a daily basis? Almost everyone.
Who gets drunk? The tourists.
12. Three words: three hour lunch.
*When I say Spain I actually mean Catalonia. Catalonia is what us North Americaners would call a State or Province of Spain. It is the State/Province where you would find Barcelona. Catalans would (and should in my opinion) call it a country that Spain has and does imperialize – but that is a story that deserves far more than a Top 12 list.
** See * above.