Cream of broccoli soup is surprisingly filling, quick to make (about 30 minutes in total), very healthy and fantastic for people who are looking for recipes to help them reduce their asthma symptoms and cure asthma!
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
4 ¼ cups vegetable broth
1 large head of broccoli
- Cut the leek in thin round circles until you reach the green area of the leek
- Cut the broccoli into small golf ball sized chunks
- Place one tablespoon of coconut oil in a soup pan at medium heat. Wait, if necessary, for it to melt into a liquid.
- Add the cut up leek to the oil
- Saute for approximately 5 to 7 minutes until the onions are nearly translucent
- Add the broccoli
- Mix the broccoli and leek together and let cook for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add 4 ¼ cups vegetable broth
- Add the required amount of water to ensure all of the broccoli is covered
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil
- Once boiling bring the pot to a medium-low temperature and cook for 20 minutes or until you can easily place a fork through the broccoli
- Strain and save the liquid.
- Using an emulsifier or a blender* blend the broccoli and leek. Add the strained liquid as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Drizzle with olive oil and top with cracked black pepper and a wee bit of salt and serve.
*I always use an emulsifier but my mom tells me if you are going to use a blender make sure you use one that accommodates hot ingredients otherwise, she tells me, all kinds of ugliness can ensue.